We all LOVE eating “cheat meals” or an overindulgence of food that we enjoy! The idea behind this meal is to eat clean for a period of time, executing workouts, and then be rewarded by eating what is normally forbidden while on a healthy meal plan. This can be very effective to overcome weight loss plateaus and to rev up the metabolism. But not all foods should should be given the green light to be eaten at this time. The following 10 foods should be avoided at all costs in any meal plan or structured cheat meal.
It is full of sugar. One can of soda has the equivalent of 10 packets of sugar in it. It is proven that sugar increases insulin levels, which can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, premature aging and many more negative side effects. Most sodas include over 100 percent of the RDA of sugar. Sugar, harmful additives, and the calories in soda are linked to osteoporosis, obesity, tooth decay and heart disease.
Just like soda juice is full of sugar at about eight teaspoons of sugar per cup. Sugar will cause a major spike in your insulin levels. Elevated insulin levels may cause us to have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and weight gain.
Amazing as doughnuts taste they add a ton of calories and loads of sugar to our bodies. On top of that they can sit on store shelves literally forever without losing its taste or spoiling making them very difficult to digest with high amounts of preservatives.
Bagels have a massively high glycemic index, which increases insulin and leads to increased inflammation in the body, which is shown to possibly accelerate aging and worsen acne and rosacea. One bagel now often contains 2-3 servings which contribute to more calories and resulting to the high glycemic index.
5. SUGARY CEREALS
A bowl of Frosted Flakes, Fruit Loops, Frosted Mini wheats might taste amazing, but it’ll ruin our bodies with the high amount of inflammation-causing sugar and gluten content. Gluten can increase skin breakouts with people with sensitive skin leading to increased redness and more breakouts. The double whammy of breakouts and the high sugar is a recipe for disaster.
Chips are high in fat and calories which both cause weight gain and obesity. They are also void of any nutritional content. Most chips are deep fried with harmful fats (trans fats) that can increase cholesterol levels and increase in coronary heart disease. Trans fat is made by adding hydrogen to vegetable oil through a process called hydrogenation, which makes the oil less likely to spoil. Using trans fats in the manufacturing of foods helps foods stay fresh longer, have a longer shelf life and have a less greasy feel.
7. FRENCH FRIES
Just like chips french fries are often if not always fried in oils and trans fats. Also the potatoes are high on the glycemic index leading to an increase in insulin levels. High insulin levels and harmful fats are a bad combo to our health. French fries, along with chips, contain acrylamide, a known carcinogen that is formed when foods are baked or fried at high temperatures which is known to cause cancers.Compared to countertop best travel water flosser , cordless models have a smaller water reservoir and slightly lower overall water pressure. Rechargeable, adaptor included.
8. FAST FOOD BURGERS
Counting on fast food burger to rev up your metabolism is ridiculous. It is known that the meat in used to make burger is 2% or less actual meat. The other 98% of the burger are industrial chemicals that our bodies are highly unlikely to use at all. Moving on, burgers are high in saturated fats, can contain trans fats, and way too many other cancer causing additives that this food is a definite no no during any healthy eating plan. Obesity and weight gain are associated with fast food burger intake.
9. MICROWAVE POPCORN
There is a known carcinogen, cancer causing chemical, in the bags that contains the popcorn. Perfluorochemicals, PFC’s, are added to the bags to make them more greaseproof, even though these chemicals have been linked to thyroid disease and ADHD, among other ills. There are also cancer causing chemicals in the fake butter that comes with the popcorn known as diacetyl. There are too many cancer causing chemicals in this food to allow it as a cheat!
Margarine is marketed as a cholesterol-free, healthy alternative to butter, it is the ultimate source of trans fats, which actually elevate cholesterol and damage blood vessel walls. Read food labels to make sure the foods you are eating use omega 3 fats or butter over margarine.
Modified versions and variations of this content are published on HUMANFITPROJECT.com and MENSFITNESS.com
This piece has been unedited and straight from the source; registered dietician and personal trainer, Tim McComsey. For more information on McComsey visit TRYMFIT.com
PHOTO: Jay Fuertez