Lower body strength plays an important part when you are trying to throw 90 mph, or gun a runner at the plate. A strong arm starts with strong legs. Yes, of course building your arm is important but everyone is doing that. Get an advantage on the diamond by building your legs and mechanics as well. Try this workout to build strong legs, train your body to work as one unit, and work on your mechanics.
Dumbbell Squat and Press: 5×12
– Breathe in and tighten your core
– Keeping your core tight and your back straight, lower yourself to the bottom squat position
– Push into the ground through your heels and explode up as your press your weights into the air.
– The weights should be directly above your head with your bicep in line with your ears.
Reverse Lunge: 5×12 each side
– To start, stand tall with your hands by your side holding weights.
– Take a large controlled step backwards.
– Lower your hips so that your front leg becomes parallel to the floor with your knee directly over your ankle.
– Alternate leg and complete the reps to each side
Lateral Jump: 5 sets of 30 seconds
– Start by standing tall, feet about hip width apart.
– Jump to the side and land on your leading leg. Crossing the opposite leg behind you but don’t let it touch the ground.
– Immediately jump in the opposite direction and land on the other leg. Continue this process for the given amount of time with the goal of the exercise being quick explosive jumps.