For a man in a relationship, Valentine’s Day is just like birthdays and holidays days, and any other special occasion that involves being with your significant other. You’ve got to be on your game, and make sure you’re going above and beyond to take care of your right-hand woman. New to the dating game? That’s fine, too, then it’s just your time to shine.
HUMANFITPROJECT contributors Rob Smith and Erica Rico prepare two dessert recipes—a strawberry tart and almond buttter cups—that you can either surprise her with on your own, or make it a part of your date night to do it together in the kitchen.
1. STRAWBERRY TARTS
- 2 tsp coconut oil, melted, plus two more for pan
- 2 cups pecans, walnuts, or almonds
- 5 tbsp agave syrup (nectar), divided
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour (replace with buck flour to make gluten-free)
- 1 tsp ground ginger (add 1 tsp extra)
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
- pinch of cinnamon
1. Lightly brush muffin cups with coconut oil and set aside.
2. Pulse nuts in a food processor until coarsely ground.
3. Add 3 teaspoons agave syrup, flour, ginger, salt, and 2 teaspoons coconut oil. Process until coarse dough forms.
4. Gather into a ball and press 1 heaping teaspoon of dough firmly onto bottom sides of each muffin cup and chill for one hour.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Bake crusts until firm and golden around edges, or for 8-10 minutes. (Let cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before removing.)
7. Place strawberries, lemon juice, and remaining 2 teaspoons agave syrup in a medium bowl, scrape in vanilla seeds (save bean for another use). Stir well, crushing a few berries to release the juices.
8. Using a spatula or butter knife, remove tart shells from pan and fill with strawberry mixture. Serve immediately.
2. ALMOND BUTTER CUPS
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp agave
- 2 tbsp almond butter
1. Mix the powder, oil, and agave together.
2. Put it in the bottom of muffin tins until it fills.
3. Place in the freezer for five minutes until it hardens.
4. Put one teaspoon of almond butter on top, then drizzle the chocolate on top and set it in the fridge until it’s hard.
Makes 6 cups
Variations of this content appear on MENSFITNESS.com and HUMANFITPROJECT.com